subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to change paths on an external file without a full update --depth infinity?
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 22:40:57 GMT
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM,  <dlellis@rockwellcollins.com> wrote:

>> > I'd actually expect it to be pretty confusing if you had multiple
>> > people committing changes based from different back-rev pegged
>> > references anywhere near the same time frame.  Does your external
>> > 'notify about new versions' tool help with that?   Don't you get
>> > conflicting changes that you'd want branches to help isolate?
>>
>> The commit won't complete you'll get an out of date error.
>
> That's right, isn't it.  It'd be no different than two folks trying to
> commit the same file around the same time, right (one would get an out of
> date error)?

Right, but when working on the trunk explicitly you'd expect to update
to accept others' changes often, or to branch to preserve and isolate
your differences.   I don't see how either quite matches a model where
changes might be made based on multiple differing back-rev pinned
externals.   What happens if two projects don't want to accept each
others' changes and need to commit their own?  In a more typical
scenario they would be working on branch copies that could diverge,
but I think you lose that by forcing a canonical path for development
(as a tradeoff for knowing where the 'new' work is...).

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell@gmail.com