subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to change paths on an external file without a full update --depth infinity?
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2013 21:49:38 GMT
On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM,  <dlellis@rockwellcollins.com> wrote:

> Now, in our case, we do stuff for aircraft,... wouldn't it be nice to
> maintain living pedigrees with all similar models of aircraft?  Fix an issue
> in one place and advertise it to all the others.  File externals give you
> this.  It fits very well into the embedded safety critical world in the
> "don't touch that code unless you have to" and "let's fix it once".
> Refactoring code in this world just can't happen as often as you'd like (its
> also a chance to reinject bugs).
>
> Hope this helps!

So the point is to intentionally pull the HEAD revision of a whole
bunch of files together where each is located arbitrarily  and can
change independently?   I guess that's about the opposite of the way I
think of version control, so I can't suggest anything else.   Are
there enough different 'top level' collections or a fast enough change
that you can't simply copy the right files into place instead of
having external references there?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com