subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to change paths on an external file without a full update --depth infinity?
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2013 16:42:49 GMT
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM,  <dlellis@rockwellcollins.com> wrote:

>> In subversion's view a copy is a branch so any distinction is strictly
>> your own convention.  Likewise for tags, except that there is a
>> generally accepted convention of not committing changes after a tag
>> copy.   Do you have additional conventions or tools to help users of
>> the pre-fork version know that it has branched?    I don't think there
>> is a generic solution for that - subversion tracks copy-from history,
>> but not copy-to.
>
> No.  There is no way to know who is using a fork you may have created or who
> has forked from someplace (short of scanning all projects of course).  I'm
> not sure fork is the best name to give this concept, but we didn't want to
> choose branch or tag for obvious reasons....

The reason isn't obvious to me.  It is a branch as far as subversion
is concerned except perhaps for the convention of naming an upper
directory 'branches'.  Or a tag if you don't intend to do additional
changes to that copy.   And if you think in terms of 'release'
branches/tags it even makes sense for your usage.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com