subversion-users mailing list archives

From John Maher <Jo...@rotair.com>
Subject RE: Switching
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 18:34:10 GMT
Again Les, you misunderstand.  I have no problems with the workspace.  It is exactly the same
for everyone, everytime.  Please read carefully before you respond.  It has nothing to do
with the build.  It is user settings, a config file, ini file, choose your terminology.  If
you don't understand please ask for clarification instead of making incorrect assumptions.

-----Original Message-----
From: Les Mikesell [mailto:lesmikesell@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:28 PM
To: John Maher
Cc: Edwin Castro; users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: Switching

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM, John Maher <JohnM@rotair.com> wrote:
> You are correct that there will be issues with a fresh checkout.  But I can live with
that.

Not caring if you can reproduce a workspace is a bold statement to make on a version control
mail list.  Don't be surprised if everyone doesn't agree with that choice.

> The code will not be affected, just the way the code is tested.  Once the developer decides
on how they wish to test I do not want to A) lose those changes or B) step on the choices
others have made by versioning it.

If this is preliminary testing, maybe that's OK.  If it is the whole story, I'd want it to
be reproducible.

> Think config or settings file.

Think build automation where you'd want to be able to reproduce these on demand, not just
rely on what happens to still live in the current filesystem.  It might take a one-time effort
to find the files and decide how to handle them (renamed versioned copies, templates, moved
local copies, etc.) but then aside from being able to switch among banches, you can reproduce
a usable working copy.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell@gmail.com