subversion-users mailing list archives

From John Maher <Jo...@rotair.com>
Subject RE: Switching
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:52:17 GMT
I'll try to clarify, everyone has their own copy of the tool.  They also have their own copy
of their settings.  The problem arises because the tool stores the settings files in the same
folder as some code specific files.  This can not be changed.  So within a single directory
we need to version some files and ignore others.

Sure I could write a pre-processing program to do a multitude of things.  It wouldn't be that
hard.  But then my plate has plenty of things that are not that hard.  What will I gain?
A happy working copy with a single command as long as what I write always works perfectly.
 Highly unlikely, so then I will make more problems for myself.  Plus I assigned myself the
task of learning subversion.  Covering up a symptom does not treat the disease.

-----Original Message-----
From: Les Mikesell [mailto:lesmikesell@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:30 PM
To: John Maher
Cc: Thorsten Schöning; users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: Switching

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM, John Maher <JohnM@rotair.com> wrote:
> "How about just 'delete the spurious unversioned files yourself'?"
>
> As I said in the previous reply, two of those files are user settings.  They would have
to be constantly recreated by the developer.  That increases costs.  One of the reasons I
wanted some form of source code control was to reduce costs.

So put them somewhere else or  version them - and if the tool can't deal with multiple users,
work out a way to script a rename the
correct copy for the current user.   A clever developer should be able
to find an alternative to forcing subversion to keep a versioned directory in conflicting
place or retyping a file to recreate it when needed...

Of course if it is too much trouble to clean up the files correctly, you can just delete the
whole workspace and check out again to go between the branch/trunk versions.

> "Svn can't decide which of your files that it can't recreate for you should disappear."
>
> It could ignore files that it is instructed to ignore.  That would help.

How many people actually know which files subversion is ignoring?
Again, a clever developer could probably come up with his own way to delete files matching
some patterns if he really wants that to happen.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com