subversion-users mailing list archives

From Edwin Castro <0ptikGh...@gmx.us>
Subject Re: Switching
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 18:15:43 GMT
I agree with Les here on the point about making sure you can automate
the process correctly only with versioned resources. In our CI builds we
have the versioned resources configured so that all tests are executed
every time. Developers execute subsets of tests through their tools and
are expected to manage their tools on their own.

Sounds like there might be a trade off between copying/reconfiguring if
they choose one working copy per branch and reconfiguring if they
clean/switch between branches. That might be best left as an individual
developer decision.

On 8/22/13 10:58 AM, John Maher wrote:
> You are correct that there will be issues with a fresh checkout.  But I can live with
that.  The code will not be affected, just the way the code is tested.  Once the developer
decides on how they wish to test I do not want to A) lose those changes or B) step on the
choices others have made by versioning it.

> Think config or settings file.

libraries.  One executable.  This means to test we need to specify an application in the project.
 Some developers use the exe while some use a tool made just for testing the classes.  This
information is in the *.sou files which are unversioned for this reason.  So we don't want
to delete them (as I incorrectly stated somewhere) but ignore them.
> You are sort-of asking for trouble if you have any dependency on unversioned files being
in a workspace at all, much less for them to continue to exist when switching among versions
with/without the
> containing directories.   I'd advise stepping back from the immediate
> problem and thinking of processes that will always work with a fresh checkout so that
in the future you can use build automation tools like jenkins, relying only on the contents
of the repository even when the build happens on a new host.  It will simply your life even
for manual operations if you can count on that.