subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Reedick <Andrew.Reed...@cbeyond.net>
Subject RE: Feature Req: sorthand urls for branches/tags in CLI
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2013 14:06:37 GMT

Subversion doesn't have branches.  I'd rather see branches as first class objects before we
hack out a "-b" option.  It's still an interesting idea, though.

What happens when the svn:branches property gets merged or copied?  It's an edge case, but
it could cause an amusing amount of chaos if svn:branches gets copied around or merged unexpectedly.
What is the behavior when you are in an externals?  Do you respect the svn:branches in the
externals, or do you work from the local repo's svn:branches, or neither?

Overall, I'm not sure it would save a significant amount of typing.  If you have a standard
trunk/branches/tags repo structure, then you're not saving a lot by using "-b foo" in place
of "^/branches/foo".  Having to set 'svn:branches' for repos with non-standard trunk/branches/tags
trees is a bit inconvenient and would discourage use.