subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Richard G." <sk...@iSKUNK.ORG>
Subject [BUG] "-std=c90" passed to non-GCC compilers
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 19:08:48 GMT
I am building Subversion 1.8.1 on Solaris 10 on AMD64, using the vendor
compiler. All of the compile lines produce a warning from the compiler:

/bin/bash /tmp/subversion-build/libtool --tag=CC --silent --mode=compile cc -std=c90  -D__EXTENSIONS__
-D_REENTRANT    -DSOLARIS2=10 -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS [...]
cc: Warning: illegal option -d=c90

The -std=c90 flag appears to be added by the SVN_CC_MODE_SETUP() macro
in build/ac-macros/compiler.m4. This then uses SVN_CFLAGS_ADD_IFELSE(),
which checks to see if the compiler accepts a specified flag. This macro
assumes that the compiler will throw an error if it doesn't recognize a
flag, which unfortunately does not hold true in the case of the Sun
compiler and this -std= flag.

According to "cc -flags", -s is "Strip symbol table from the executable
file". The cc(1) man page states "cc recognizes -a, -e, -r, -t, -u, and
-z and passes these options and their arguments to ld.  cc also passes
any unrecognized options to ld with a warning."

Perhaps the macro should check the value of $GCC before testing
this flag?

--Daniel

P.S.: Please Cc: any replies, as I am not subscribed to this list.

--
Daniel Richard G. || skunk@iSKUNK.ORG
My ASCII-art .sig got a bad case of Times New Roman.