subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Saffer, Simon" <simon.saf...@cgi.com>
Subject Lines duplicated in dest. file when merging back to trunk
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 13:16:47 GMT
Hi,

I'm not subscribed on your mailing list so it would be great if you could Cc me in you responses.

I'm having problems with merges going wrong. In our company we sometimes put the same changes
on several branches by hand (the reason for this involves code that has to talk to a legacy
system with a very primitive VCS built in to the language itself).
But we also merge our branches using svn and we have discovered that our merges sometimes
can go wrong. I have some short texts to illustrate what happens and also gives a repo-case:

We start out with a file that looks like this both on trunk and on our branch (A is first
line in file and D is the last).

Note that there is a space character on the empty line between B and C.

Then we make a change on the trunk

   some change

And on our branch we make almost the same change

   some change

The only difference between the change on the trunk and on the branch is that the trunk has
three space characters on the line between B and some change while the branch still only has
one space character.
When merging the branch to the trun the result is the following:

   some change

   some change

We get no merge conflict, but the text is copied twice into the file on trunk.

I've been able to reproduce this with Collabnet, SlikSVN and Tortoise clients using version
svn version 1.6.

Is this a known issue? Is it possible that it's already fixed in svn 1.7?

Best regards

Simon