subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de>
Subject Re: Unexpected conflicts merging updates from trunk to a branch
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 15:09:22 GMT
On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 09:19:47AM -0500, Matthew Pounsett wrote:

> I've been running into unexpected tree conflicts when updating branches from the trunk,
after reintegrating to the trunk where and file adds or removes were involved in the reintegrate.
 I expect I'm doing something wrong here, but I haven't been able to figure out what.  Can
someone point me in the right direction?   Here's a simple example that demonstrates my issue.

You cannot keep using the as-is branch after it has been reintegrated.

Please review the entire "Reintegrating a Branch" section again:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.branchmerge.basicmerging.html#svn.branchemerge.basicmerging.reintegrate
and also see the "Keeping a Reintegrated Branch Alive", which discusses
the problem in detail:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.branchmerge.advanced.html#svn.branchmerge.advanced.reintegratetwice

This will be much easier in 1.8, see:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.8.html#auto-merge