subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de>
Subject Re: FreeBSD project and subversion.
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 16:08:40 GMT
On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:59:43PM +0100, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> Given what I said above, this can't be done in general (not if you
> give two URLs or two wc paths, because then both synopsis 1 and 2 are
> possible -- it would obviously break backwards compatibility if we
> would now start erroring out on these, while these used to work fine
> with automatically picking usage 1 before). Only if one of them is a
> URL and the other a WC path, because we give an error message then
> anyway.

I think Alexey meant only the cases where we currently error out, i.e. where
exactly two targets are given and one is a path and the other is a URL.

I didn't realise this but there is indeed no ambiguity in allowing this
syntax as a shorthand for a corresponding '--old X --new Y' diff invocation.

Thanks Alexey, see http://svn.apache.org/r1442640
Making these invocations produce a diff instead of an error makes things
less surprising for users.