subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Case sensitivity bug in windows with powershell.
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:20:26 GMT

On Nov 12, 2012, at 07:03, Sebastian Andersson <bofh69@gmail.com> wrote:

> Powershell contributes to this problem a bit more; in powershell you
> can tab-expand the path names. If you just tab-expand one directory at
> a time, it changes to the correct case of it. But if you write two
> directories at once (ie apa\Banana), only the second directory gets
> changed into the correct case. With a longer path and a single letter
> with the incorrect case, then it is of course a lot less obvious what
> is wrong.

This also describes the behavior of a normal Bash shell on OS X with a normal HFS+ case-insensitive
filesystem: tab completion corrects the case of the last typed component only (assuming you've
enabled case-insensitive tab completion in the shell, which I have by writing "set completion-ignore-case
on" in my ~/.inputrc).

However, this particular case difference doesn't seem to cause problems for Subversion on
OS X:

tmp $ svn --version|head -n 2
svn, version 1.7.7 (r1393599)
   compiled Nov  9 2012, 20:33:44
tmp $ svnadmin create repo
tmp $ svn co file://`pwd`/repo wc
Checked out revision 0.
tmp $ cd wc
wc $ svn mkdir APA
A         APA
wc $ cd apa
apa $ svn mkdir banan
A         banan
apa $ ..
wc $ svn ci -m x
Adding         APA
Adding         APA/banan

Committed revision 1.
wc $

There are of course several other case difference problems for Subversion on OS X.