subversion-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stephen Connolly <>
Subject Re: Merging repositories => UUID conflict
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 14:26:51 GMT
On 15 October 2012 15:08, Jan Keirse <> wrote:

> Hello,
> we currently have multiple repositories but want to merge all of these for
> various reasons but am running into a problem.
> Here's what we have now:
> Repositories A and B, they have no paths in common, except for /, because
> repository A has /trunk, /branches, /tags while B has
> /project[x]/branches,...
> What I tried is to svnadmin dump B and svnadmin load it into A. Obviously
> the revision numbers are different but otherwise everything is there and
> this appears to be a good sollution.
> However, when I try to svn relocate the working copies from repository B
> to repository A because the UUID is different between the 2 servers. I had
> hoped I would be able to just relocate and after an update svn would see
> nothing changed between the version number increase and just accept it.
> I now have 2 questions I can't seem to find an answer to:
> - Is there a way to merge the repositories without having to checkout all
> working copies again? I only found references to how to do it by editing
> the metadata of the working copy with sqlite but that just doesn't sound
> like a healthy path to choose.
> - Is the concept of dumping a repository and loading into another
> repository that already have revisions something safe? Or is this risky
> (one odd thing that's instantly visible is that revisions with high numbers
> can be older than revisions with lower numbers?)

Should answer your questions...

There is only one issue with the suggested approach, namely that the dates
in the repository will not be strictly increasing so date range searches
will be broken.

There is a different tool that can merge and keep the dates in order:

But I have had issues with dump file format. Last time I tried the dump
files were in a format that was too old/new (cannot recall which) for the
merge code in svndumptool and I was fed up and just said "feck it" and
appended the revisions onto the end (causing the date-range issue). What I
should have done is imported the dump files into the correct version of
svn, re-dumped and then used svndumptool... in retrospect if I had to do it
again that is exactly what I would do, but at the time I had just spent 1
month converting 80 repositories from Accurev to Subversion and this last
repository was one where I was trying to merge the head of the rebel
developer's subversion work onto the tail of the accurev repo they gave up
on and then merge in the second svn repo they used in parallel... Glad I
don't work for that company any more ;-)

> Kind Regards,
> *CORPORATE SERVICES* • *Specialist Software Developer*
> T +32 56 43 42 45 • F +32 56 43 44 46 •
> Brabantstraat 15 • BE-8790 WAREGEM
> T +32 56 43 42 11 • F +32 56 43 44 88 •

View raw message