subversion-users mailing list archives

From Jim McCaskey <jim.mccas...@pervasive.com>
Subject svndumpfilter and subdirectories
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 14:11:01 GMT
Hello all,

I'm hoping I'm just failing to find the correct syntax to Google for this question.  I have
a repository that I want to fish out a subdirectory and all its branches.  For example:

project/trunk/compa
project/trunk/compb
project/trunk/compc

I only want to get compb.  BUT, I also need to get all the branches:

project/branches/b1/compa
project/branches/b1/compb
project/branches/b1/compc

project/branches/b2/compa
project/branches/b2/compb
project/branches/b2/compc

project/branches/b3/compa
project/branches/b3/compb
project/branches/b3/compc

In the above, I want all the compb directories.  After some research, I came up with this
command:

cat nightly.dmp | svndumpfilter --drop-empty-revs --renumber-revs include project/trunk/compb
project/branches/b1/compb project/branches/b2/compb project/branches/b3/compb > compb.dmp

That runs and seems to work.  Then I try to import it.  Hilarity ensues:

svnadmin load /data/svn/test/ < compb.dmp

It fails quite often complaining about not being able to find directories.  I've read the
documentation and have done the painstaking bit of building the directories needed by the
load.  After a few hours of hacking at it that way, I get to success!  Or so I thought.

I get full copies of project/trunk/compb and project/branches/b1/compb.  However, it turn
out that project/branches/b2/compb and project/branches/b3/compb don't show up at all.  I
can't even find references to those branch names in the dmp file.

Researching the history of the repo, the two branches that don't show up are simply there
because they were copied to the branches as part of the branch copy. There are different versions
on each branch because the branching was done at different times.

I'm a bit stumped at this point how to proceed.  Like I said, I'm guessing that this has been
dealt with before; my Google judo is just not up finding it.

-Jim