subversion-users mailing list archives

From Markus Schaber <m.scha...@3s-software.com>
Subject AW: Software Subversion
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 09:52:54 GMT
Hi, Nico,

Von: Nico Kadel-Garcia [mailto:nkadel@gmail.com]
>> Other than that issue, subversion is GPL and it's restrictions apply.
> No, it's an Apache license:

That's true for current SVN releases, older ones (before the migration to Apache.org) came
with a different (but equally "free") license.

But keep in mind that Subversion (and their language bindings or distribution forms) include/need
a bunch of 3rd party libraries which come with other licenses. Here's the list of licenses
we have to obey for SharpSVN, with a short categorization by me (IANAL!):

Subversion itself, APR, APR-Utils, Serf, SharpSVN: Apache License 2.0

Cyrus SASL: Free license with Attribution clause

Neon: GNU LGPL V2.0

OpenSSL: Free license with kind of advertising clause and attribution clause

PuTTY: (Brought in e. G. by SharpSVN in the default build): Free license.

ZLib: Free license

Berkeley DB Library: We patched that one out of our build, as its clause 3 states: "Redistributions
in any form must be accompanied by information on how to obtain complete source code for the
DB software and any accompanying software that uses the DB software. [...]" This clause was
interpreted by our lawyers as a GPL-Like obligation to open our complete source code to our
customers.

Best regards

Markus Schaber
--
We software Automation.

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Markus Schaber | Developer
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany | Tel. +49-831-54031-0 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

Email: m.schaber@3s-software.com | Web: http://www.3s-software.com
CoDeSys internet forum: http://forum.3s-software.com
Download CoDeSys sample projects: http://www.3s-software.com/index.shtml?sample_projects

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten
HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915