subversion-users mailing list archives

From Neil Bird <n...@jibbyjobby.co.uk>
Subject Automatic update of externals after merge?
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 16:11:11 GMT

   A colleague just posed this question to me:  if one does a merge from
trunk to one's local branch to get up to date, and one of the items merged
is an update to svn:externals, should svn not automatically perform an
update on those externals?

   At the moment, one has to do do a 'svn update' manually after the merge
(having noticed that the externals have changed).

   Under normal circumstances, I'd expect the WC after a merge op. to be
ready to build and test, but here it's not, and it could (has!) cause
confusion when the WC fails to build.

   My personal opinion is that it probably should (because of the user's
expectation of a “finished job”).

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature