subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: forbiden folders
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:31:37 GMT

On Oct 25, 2011, at 13:09, Andy Levy wrote:

>> But I ma puzzled by your last statement "it might actually lead to increase in space".
How it that possible?
>> If I trunkate -r 1:3000 and leave 3000 to HEAD how would this increase size? I know
this is the other case I am talking about here not the initial problem with aux. (possible
other usage in svnadmin trunk)

> The increase in space has to do with how Subversion implements copies.
> IIRC, if you remove the "right" parts of your history, you can end up
> with duplicated items instead of cheap copies, thus increasing the
> space needed to store it.

But since Subversion 1.6 we have representation sharing:

http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.6.html#rep-sharing

Doesn't that fix the problem? Or not quite?