subversion-users mailing list archives

From Bob Archer <Bob.Arc...@amsi.com>
Subject RE: Merge strategies?
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:32:12 GMT
> On 21.10.2011 1:56, Bob Archer wrote:
> >> 1) Do you usually merge upstream or downstream?
> >> 2) Do you set mergeinfo when merging downstream?
> >> 3) Do you set mergeinfo when merging upstream?
> >> 4) Do you set mergeinfo when merging from feature branch?
> >>

> > 1) We generally only merge up version. A fix is made in the earliest version
> path where we are going to release it and then merged up to the newer
> versions. There may be a case where we made a change in a version and
> needed it in the old version. I'm not sure that happened yet. I assume if it is
> ever don I would do a record-only merge of the rev in the next version's path
> so it won't conflict in future merges.
> >
> > 2, 3 and 4) We always use mergeinfo. (svn sets it automatically)
> >
> > BOb
>
> Hm, it looks like you should have really huge svn:mergeinfo in your latest
> VersionX. Did you notice any slowdown?

I'm not sure I would call it huge. Here is the mergeinfo on our newest in dev  version path
root:

/Product/branches/B_01490:39129-39612
/Product/branches/v6.0.0.1:3913-4250
/Product/branches/v6.0.1-BOD:29569-30097
/Product/branches/v6.5.1 B-06016 and B-06017:38413-38505
/Product/branches/v6.5.2:39097-39128
/Product/trunk:39633-40031
/Product/v6.5.1:40032-42329
/Product/v6.5.2:40827-45486
/Product/v6.5.3:42165-45488
/Product/v6.5.4:44500-46506
/Product/v7.0.1:45519-46535
/Product/v7.0.2:46560-47506
/Product/v7.1.0:47440-48031

(of course product isn't actually the product name)

Keep in mind... whenever you merge the merge info is updated. The high number of the range
is changed rather than a new line being added. So each merge line there from say 7.1.0 represents
multiple merges (I think three at this point). This also includes some merge info from back
when we still used trunk and release branches. As you see we do very few feature branches.

No, I don't notice any slowdown.

> Also, as you usually merge upstream, I presume you could encounter
> svn:mergeinfo conflict when 2 users merge i.e. into latest VersionX
> simultaneously. Has it ever happened to you?

No, we have a weekly task to merge and usually one person does it. However, I don't see how
there could be a conflict since it would be caught as a conflict at commit time if two people
tried to commit the same merge.

>  From what I read, I see you use mergeinfo to prevent accidental cyclic
> merges. Do you use it for something else? So far I don't understand how the
> mergeinfo about upstream merges could be really useful.

No, our merge policy is to prevent cyclic merges not the mergeinfo. The mergeinfo is used
for exactly what it is meant for. To keep track of previous merges so they won't be duplicated.
Prior to merginfo (was it added in 1.5 I guess?) we had to record that info in our commit
message and find it when the next merge was done. Now svn does that record keeping for us.

> Thank you for your valuable comments,
> Andrey Paramonov

Hope it helps,
BOb