subversion-users mailing list archives

From Bob Archer <Bob.Arc...@amsi.com>
Subject RE: Subversion and Remote Repository Synchronization
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 13:27:26 GMT
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
> wrote:
> > David Weintraub wrote on Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 12:22:33 -0400:
> >> What about using "svngit"? We could have an automated process that
> >> pulls data from the Subversion repository in the U.S. and creates a
> >> local Git repository in India using "svngit'. This could be done when
> >> there's no one in the Indian office. Developers could then checkout
> >> and commit their changes to their local Git repository. In the middle
> >> of the night, the Git repository could then push its changes to
> >> Subversion using "gitsvn" Is this a possibility?
> >
> > And what do you do when the push step fails due to the Subversion
> > repository having changed after the pull?
>
> I think you are supposed to branch for your local git work, then 'rebase' the
> svn copy (equivalent to upate) before merging your branch and using
> dcommit to push it back to the svn master.  Conceptually it shouldn't be
> different than the repository changing compared to an outstanding modified
> svn working copy.

I don't think using svn-git solves the problem that updates from the remote server are going
to take time. That lag will still be there.

Isn't there a way to set up some type of write through proxy when using svnsync?

Of course, the other solution is get a faster/bigger pipe to reduce the transfer times.

BOb