subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andy Levy <andy.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: forbiden folders
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:48:09 GMT
On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:42, Robert J. Gebis <rjgebis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did run into a problem that I was no aware of and I want to bring this up to attention.
Also I would like to know what is the best way to handle such case since it gave me little
problem.

> I am developing multi platform system. When I try to add "aux" folder on linux I was
able to commit just fine. Now wen getting update on windows I was getting strange error saying
that aux folder can't be created. Googling I found below link explaining reserved words on
windows.

> http://www.blindedbytech.com/2006/11/16/forbidden-file-and-folder-names-on-windows/
>
> Now I try to move aux to misc on Linux and committing it. That was fine but still on
windows I was not able to get latest.
> It looks like it was updating all changes and (creation of aux) before applying (move
aux mic).
> I try to delete misc on linux and committing it. Still windows was complaining. It does
not seems like svn have true "drop" to revision.

> I ended up doing svnadmin dump -r 1:$GOOD_VER, created new repo and loading it back.
This is a long process.

> Are there any other/better alternatives. I was pressed on time so perhaps I did overlooked
something?

A fresh checkout (instead of trying to recover the half-updated one
from your initial attempt, when the file was named aux)  should work
fine. If you check out HEAD, the client should never see the file
named "aux."