subversion-users mailing list archives

From Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: File access control
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2011 03:40:13 GMT
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it risky because I would be using rsync instead of svn update, or
> is it risky because I wouldn't be using a test/staging machine?  Why
> can't testing be done on the dev machine?

risky because you can't 100% prove what you got is exactly what is in
SVN.  If you check the code out and then rsync it you might
accidentally make a change between checkout and rsync.    But if you
do the checkout direct to the end-user machine you know what you got
can straight out of svn.

That said most people don't do that.   Part of what you ask your dev
to do is create an "install bundle"  on most UNIX-likemacnines this is
a .tar file.  in Windows it's an installer.  on Mac it's a disk image
.dmg file  Then you move those to the end user

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California