subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Robert J. Gebis" <rjge...@gmail.com>
Subject Best project layout and branching
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 18:18:33 GMT
I switched over the weekend to 1.7.1 and read release documentation.
What I was looking was not there. Perhaps future release? What I was looking for is a "folder
shadow" future found in pvsc (I used it a while back so not sure if it is it or some other
tool)

I have huge project that various project depend on each other (exe and Libs on other Libs
etc. Around 90 projects)
This is all setup so I can build on Windows, Mac, Solaris and Linux.

Right now I have on top level

./current

    - 3rdPartyLib

         |- Library1
	 |- Library2
         |- Library3
    - Library

         |- Library1
	 |- Library2
         |- Library3
    |- Servers
         |- Server1
         |- Server2
./branch
	|- Br1
./tag
	|- Rel 1
           |- …...
        |- Rel 2

            |- 3rdPartyLib
            |   |
            |   |- Library1
	    |   |- Library2
            |   |- Library3
            |- Library
            |    |
            |    |- Library1
	    |    |- Library2
            |    |- Library3
            |- Servers
                 |- Server1
                 |- Server2

to create branch I have to branch everything since all projects have relative path setup so
going from current to ./branch is not possible.
What I would love to see is a "shadow" specific folder with branch. This way I could have
only ./current. I think pvsc had a profile file that needed to be setup from top bottom order
and folders were shadowed with appropriate branch , current or whatever.

Do you think this would be possible in the future? Is something like that on svn roadmap?

With current scenario do you have suggestions about better setup/arrangement?

Thank you