subversion-users mailing list archives

From Neil Bird <n...@jibbyjobby.co.uk>
Subject SVN repo cross-platform compatibility
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:23:46 GMT

   Whilst suffering a subversion server outage, it's made me wonder:  we
currently produce nightly backups of our repos via 'hotcopy' from the
server's local drive to a network store.

   If the server were to die, would I be able to take those copies and place
them under a server on a new box *with a different OS*?  Or would I have to
create a temporary server with the original OS, copy them to that, and
svndump them and import them elsewhere?

   In this case, it's a Solaris server, dunno what processor [I'll check
when it's back up!], and I'd consider moving it to an x86 Linux server.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature