subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Vedr: revision number offset
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:23:19 GMT
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:08, morten bjoernsvik wrote:

> In many cases with small projects I move the repository around
> (like we have been used to with git)
> svnadmin dump <repository> | bzip2 > repository_revXX.svndump.bz2
> and then:
> svnadmin create <parth to repository>
> bzip2 -dc repository_revXX.svndump.bz2 | svnadmin load <path to repository>
> This works fine up to around 100-150 revisions, then it becomes slow [...]

In what way does it become slow?

Many projects have much larger repositories that are not slow. The MacPorts Project's repository
has over 86,000 revisions now; the Apache Foundation's Subversion repository has over a million
revisions.

On Oct 20, 2011, at 10:14, morten bjoernsvik wrote:

> I also like to clean up repositores from time to time, aka
> a svnadmin -rXX:YY dump then delete and load to only save the latest 10 revisions and
drop the rest.

Subversion really isn't designed to be used in this manner. svnadmin is meant to be used for
infrequent administrative tasks, not as a part of a user's regular interaction with a repository.
And Subversion is designed to keep your history; it's more or less deliberately difficult
to eradicate history. If you really want to do that, you can, but maybe a different version
control system would fit your way of working better.