subversion-users mailing list archives

From David Chapman <dcchap...@acm.org>
Subject Re: ^M Appends to every line?
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 01:48:46 GMT
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 2/23/2011 10:19 AM, Christopher D Haakinson wrote:
>>> I have SVN up and running and things are working well, except when
>>> editing shell scripts from windows.
>>>
>>> My server is RHEL5-based and I will have clients connecting from linux
>>> and windows. Linux commits work great, and even some times from windows.
>>> However some times I commit a file from Windows(running tortoiseSVN and
>>> Komodo EDIT) it corrupts the script and adds ^M to the end of every
>>> line, often times ruining the structure of the file too.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to disable this or do I have to run a dos2unix script
>>> after every commit to remove them?
>>>
>> Long version:
>> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.advanced.props.file-portability
>>
>> Short version: set the svn:eol-style property to native on the files where
>> you want subversion to manage line endings.  Your client may have a list of
>> file suffixes where this would be set automatically.
> But in general, avoid it. If you're in a mixed platform environment,
> and you are tweaking files back and forth in end-of-line settings when
> you check them out in UNIX versis checking them out in Windows, you
> are in for a *world* of hurt. This is a source of enormous confusion
> for programmers when it works right, on one system, but not on the
> other due to local re-writing.
>
> If you're on the UNIX or Linux sides, the "dos2unix" and "unix2dos"
> utilities are available with almost every distribution. For Windows,
> there are other tools, including the same tools under CygWin.

Uh, no.  Use of "svn:eol-style" avoids a world of hurt - programmers do
not have to run a script *every* time they check out a file.  Requiring
users to run a script to fix line endings in every sandbox is a recipe
for disaster.

"dos2unix" and "unix2dos" are precisely the kind of local rewriting you
want to avoid.

My two cents (and one million lines of code) worth...

--
     David Chapman         dcchapman@acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA