subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reduce size of repository for backup
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:22:48 GMT
On 2/5/11 6:23 AM, Daniel Andersson wrote:

>>> OK, how would I go about then to completely delete the whole
>>> versioning history?
>>>

>> One way would be to make sure all your workspaces are commited, export
>> the head version, then start a new repository and import the directory
>> back to it. Then delete your workspaces and check out new ones from the
>> new repository. That's pretty drastic, though.
>
> OK thanks Les, think I will give this a try.
>
> Thing is, I would be able to reduce the total size down to 15 % or something
> similar without loosing any important code.

You could still keep the old repository or a backup around somewhere in case
someone ever does want to look at the old versions to see how you solved some
problem.  If you have a web server with enough space for it you can use viewvc
to browse/diff/download parts without having to check out a workspace or keep
svnserve running.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com