subversion-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Andersson <l...@daniel-gr-andersson.com>
Subject Reduce size of repository for backup
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 20:14:00 GMT
Hi all,

I deleted a bunch of large files from our repository yesterday that was
not meant to be stored there. But these are still of course in the SVN
history.

I wish to do a backup each night and today I use svnadmin hotcopy for
that, and rsync that hotcopy to an off-site server. I chose hotcopy
since it will not cause any problems with anyone using the repository at
the same time.

Is it possible to delete specific large files from the history? Or do I
have to dump and then delete the history all together?

Or could I do some kind of incremental backup instead and only a full
hotcopy backup each Sunday?

What is the best practice?

I'm running Debian 6 Squeeze with Subversion 1.6.12dfsg-4

Thanks

/Daniel