subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de>
Subject Re: Compile Subversion 1.6.5 on SLES 11.1
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:29:24 GMT
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 07:50:51AM +0100, Stutz Oliver wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have problems compiling Subversion with Apache support on SLES 11.1 it says the zlib
should be compiled with -fPIC flag. It is the version which came with subversion which i have
intalled into /opt/zlib isn't this supposed to be working alright? Can maybe somebody give
me a good Guide which has all the steps in it or tell me what i'am doing wrong? I have read
the "-fPIC" Error Site from Gentoo because this was the site google was spitting out but i
seem to have lack of understanding about the makefiles and where to place this -fPIC argument
if it is really required.

> Thanks already for the help provided.
>

> /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /opt/zlib/lib/libz.a(deflate.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32S against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
with -fPIC
> /opt/zlib/lib/libz.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la] Error 1

No idea.

Any reason you're not using the latest Subversion binaries from the
OpenSUSE/SLES buildservice (apart from the fact that it seems to be down at
the moment)? Those binaries are maintained by SUSE developers with help
from other people (including myself), have been automatically packaged and
tested and are ready to be installed via yast. They are of the same
quality as can be expected from the Subversion packages that ship on
the distribution media.

If you are going to go through the effort of building your own binaries,
1.6.5 seems like an odd choice. You might as well try to build 1.6.15
which is the current stable release.