subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: including a banner in Subversion URL
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:38:36 GMT
On Jan 11, 2011, at 14:34, Ramesh Nadupalli wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> On Jan 10, 2011, at 20:38, Ramesh Nadupalli wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to have banner set for a subversion URL, can someone guide
>>> how this can be accomplished?
>>
>> Do you mean that you would like to customize the way that Subversion
>> displays pages when someone access a repository's URL in a web browser? If
>> so, you can do that by providing custom XSLT and CSS files. Use the
>> directive "SVNIndexXSLT /path/to/svnindex.xsl" in your httpd.conf. Sample
>> XSLT and CSS files are provided as part of the Subversion source
>> distribution, or here:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/tools/xslt/
>
> Thanks Ryan. I am an administrator,  wants to use this feature to notify
> users about the upcoming outages, repository movements etc...
>
> Any pointers?

You can certainly do that -- supply a custom XSLT file as explained above, put your messages
into that file. Users will see them when they visit the repository URL in a web browser.

Of course, users don't usually access a repository URL in a web browser; they usually do so
in a Subversion client. I don't know of any way to supply a custom message to someone using
a Subversion client.

And of course the above only works if you're serving your repository with Apache. If you're
serving it with svnserve, then I have no solution for that either.