subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: I can not browsing a subversion webpage
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 07:19:14 GMT
On Jan 10, 2011, at 10:35, Andy Levy wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:20, Daniela Rivas wrote:
>>
>> I am installing and configuring a subversion repository and I have some
>> problems doing that.
>> When I am trying to see the page in a browser, I get the directories trunk,
>> branches, tags; so I don't get the index.html file that i have inside trunk.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you're expecting index.html to be
> served to your browser when you browse to the directory containing it?
>
> You're not supposed to. The Subversion repository browser is not
> intended to allow you to serve files directly as a website, and
> depending on your web content it won't work at all. If you need to
> serve a website using the contents of a repository, see
> http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#website-auto-update .

The website auto-update FAQ is good to read, and is indeed necessary if your web site is composed
of scripts (in PHP, ASP, Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.) that need to be processed by the
server. However, if your web site is just pre-generated HTML, created by hand or in a graphical
web site editor (like DreamWeaver, RapidWeaver, GoLive, iWeb, etc.) then there's no reason
why Subversion can't serve it up for you. You wouldn't want to do so for a production web
site as it would be very slow, but for development purposes, it can be fine.

You just need to make sure you set the correct MIME type on everything you add to the repository.
You do this by setting the svn:mime-type property. Each .html file needs to have the MIME
type "text/html"; each PNG image should have the MIME type "image/png", and so on. You can,
for example, use "svn propset svn:mime-type text/html index.html" to set the MIME type of
the index.html file.

You should set up auto-props in your Subversion config file so new files you add automatically
get these properties, but this only applies to new files; for your existing files, you'll
either have to go through and set the MIME type of each by hand, or there exists a script
you can use to apply your current auto-props rules to your existing files.