subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: How to get svn-bisect?
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 14:05:46 GMT
On Jan 11, 2011, at 07:42, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 1/11/11 1:09 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Subversion does not include a program called "svn-bisect". For those of us not familiar
with git, perhaps you could explain what git-bisect does, then we can tell you if there is
equivalent functionality available in Subversion.

>> Alternately, a Google search shows me others have written tools called "svn-bisect"
which may do what you want:

>> http://www.google.com/search?q=svn-bisect
>>

> I read a few of the links out of curiosity - this one expains what it does and why you
would want it:
> http://blogs.atlassian.com/developer/2009/01/git_bisect.html
>
> Basically you give it a good and bad revision and a test to run and it finds the commit
that broke things with a binary search.  Of course if you were using something like Hudson
doing continuous builds for you, you'd already know...

Yup, that's what I figured it would do.

A couple days ago I manually bisected a problem in an open source project I've been involved
with. There is no test suite, and I supposed it would have taken me longer to figure out how
to write a test for the problem "the entire window is purple" than to just manually build
and run a few revisions. In the end, the revision I identified unfortunately changed at least
a dozen things in the code -- including refactoring existing code, adding new code, and even
whitespace changes (groan) -- so that hasn't been totally helpful in tracking down the problem
yet. Let it be yet another repeat of the lesson to commit the smallest unit of work possible.
It's not like the repository is going to run out of revisions! :)