subversion-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Feature Request: [Was: Best way to maintain patches to a 3rd party library?]
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 22:33:42 GMT
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:09 PM, NN Ott <nonot100@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Stefan Sperling <stsp@elego.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 01:36:37PM -0500, NN Ott wrote:
>> > I just want the svn copy/log/diff/merge logic to see past, and account
>> > for,
>> > and svn:external barrier.   Very much a one-way flow of changes.  Imho,
>> > doesn't seem too bizzare or non-svn like.
>>
>> It may seem like that on the surface.
>>
>> But an external is a nested checkout within another working copy.
>> That's all there is to it. It is bound to the repository it came from.
>>
>> Creating diffs between two distinct Subversion repositories, for
>> instance, is impossible to achieve with the current design of Subversion.
>> If you try it, you get an error like this:
>> svn: 'https://svn.example.com/repos1/README' isn't in the same repository
>>  as 'https://svn.example.com/repos2/README'
>>
>> Making this work would require redesign of the system.
>> It's not an implementation bug that this doesn't work.
>> It's something the design doesn't support, because Subversion is
>> centralized.
>>
>> If you want to reason and argue about this you will need to understand
>> technical details of the current design. So I'd suggest that you
>> familiarize
>> yourself with Subversion's design, and then rephrase your proposal in a
>> way that explains how Subversion's current design would need to be
>> changed in order to achieve what you want.
>>
>> Unfortunately it's not easy to summarize everything you need to know
>> in one email.
>>
>> You'll need to understand how the repository filesystem works.
>> A fairly good explanation is given here:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/subversion/libsvn_fs_base/notes/fs-history
>>
>> A good overview of how the client/server communication is currently
>> structured is given here:
>> http://www.red-bean.com/kfogel/beautiful-code/bc-chapter-02.html
>> While linking to the above, it should also be noted that there is a new,
>> currently unused, interface trying to address various shortcomings:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/subversion/include/svn_editor.h
>>
>> Stefan
>
> Thank you for explaining, Stefan.  I'll check those links out.   As you say,
> my assumptions are based more on mis-understanding than anything else.

This discussion just triggered my memory: a while ago I read in a
thread on the users list something about "foreign repository merges".
Don't know if that's something that could be useful to you, but who
knows ... See:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2010-02/0223.shtml

The thread concludes with "Don't tell anybody", so I'm not sure I'm
supposed to do just that ;-).

Cheers,
-- 
Johan

Mime
View raw message