subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andy Levy <andy.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Checkout really slow in Windows with lots of files in one directory
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:43:15 GMT
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 09:28, Neil Bird <neil@jibbyjobby.co.uk> wrote:

>  We have a graphics-oriented code-base that's auto-generated and has >5000
> source files in one directory.  While I can check this out OK on Linux,
> we're seeing an unusable slow-down on Windows XP (NTFS), both using Tortoise
> directly, and as a test on Linux with the Windows drive mapped over CIFS.
>
>  The checkout starts sensibly enough, but then gets steadily slower and
> slower and slower, to the point were we're not sure it'd actually ever end.
>
>  I know that there's a negative speed difference on NTFS, and that 1.7's
> WC-NG might make this better, but this is getting near-logarithmically
> slower.
>
>  Is that to be expected, or at least known about?

It's known and oft-lamented. NTFS just doesn't handle this scenario
well - it's probably one of the reasons FSFS sharding was introduced
(I'm speculating a bit here).

How's the checkout performance with a command-line client on that XP
box? It could also be your on-access virus scanner, and testing w/ the
command-line client may help diagnose that.