subversion-users mailing list archives

From B Smith-Mannschott <bsmith.o...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svnadmin: Can't write to stream: File too large
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 14:06:53 GMT
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 14:16, Torsten Krah
<tkrah@fachschaft.imn.htwk-leipzig.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ive got a large repository (using svn version 1.5.1 r32289) and want to dump
> the repository.
> Dumping with svnadmin dump $repo > dumpfile does result in:
>
> svnadmin: Can't write to stream: File too large
>
> The file at this time is around 17 GiB in size.
> The only workaround found at the moment is to bzip or gzip things via a pipe.
>
> But why i got this error and what is the solution - thought svn should support
> such big dump files, shouldn't it?

I don't think the error condition is originating in Subversion.
Subversion just sees that it's writing to standard output, which your
shell has arranged to write into a file.  It seems more likely that
you are running into a limitation of the underlying file system.

What *nix flavor are you running? What's the file system you're trying
to write the dump file to? "Around 17 GiB" seems like a strange
maximum size. It isn't 17179869184 bytes, perchance?

// Ben