subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andy Levy <andy.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Windows over linux
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2011 17:25:37 GMT
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:02, Thomas Loy <Thomas.Loy@cbeyond.net> wrote:
> Agreed, but another benefit of any Unix OS is the ability to use symbolic links.  They
aren't in Windows and they give some added stability to some things you may do such as link
a specific version name to a more generic name you use in the build script.  This makes maintenance
long term a lot easier.  I'm working on a bunch of scripts right now where we had a version
specific taskdef jar that I'm now using a symlink to create a generic jar name -- so I won't
have to edit all the taskdef jar names in the scripts again.

Symlink support is a client issue. AFAIK, a Subversion repository
hosted on Windows can store & manage symlinks from working copies
created/updated on non-Windows clients.