subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Viewing Subversion in 3D (without glasses)
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:49:47 GMT
On 1/13/2011 11:03 AM, Pablo Beltran wrote:

> Relationships between issues and releases/tags are well supported by
> Subversion because the concept "Release" in a tracker can be directly
> related with a tag in Subversion. Depending of your needs, tracking
> revisions only at the "release" level may be enough. But for big
> products with a long life and with many developer working at the same
> time on them might be very useful also relate Subversion revisions with
> a more detailed concepts (issues). These last sort of relationships are
> not well supported by Subversion, so all the job is done at the tracker
> side (the Jira Subversion plugin in this case). Concepts like bug, task,
> requirement cannot directly be related with any Subversion concept.

You can put anything you want in a commit message and cross reference it
to anything else you want.  Subversion just doesn't enforce it unless
you add a pre-commit hook.  For example, we use testtrack pro and every
commit is required to have ticket number in a certain format in the
commit message.

> Thus, I think that a flexible concept like "label" able to be related
> with revisions would improve Subversion as SCCM tool.

You can't get much more flexible than free-form text.  On the other
hand, labels of the sort used as CVS tags come up once in a while (where
you have the ability to apply multiple tags to the same set of
file/revisons and move them around later) as something that would be
nice but not really needed.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com