subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Feature Request: [Was: Best way to maintain patches to a 3rd party library?]
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 19:43:31 GMT
On 1/11/2011 12:36 PM, NN Ott wrote:

>     It sounds like what you really want is commit access to the upstream
>     Subversion repository, possibly restricted to a special branch.
>     Then your change identifiers would be in the same universe.
>

> I just want the svn copy/log/diff/merge logic to see past, and account
> for, and svn:external barrier.   Very much a one-way flow of changes.

If the changes are really one-way, they'd all be coming from the
upstream repository.  If you make changes in 2 places, that's a
distributed system - even if your copy is never pushed back upstream.

>   Imho, doesn't seem too bizzare or non-svn like.

The svn way is to get write access to a branch in the one-and-only
repository if you also want to make changes that are tracked.  Or
reproduce the upstream commits in your copy letting the revision numbers
(and any external tracking references) get out of sync.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com