subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best way to maintain patches to a 3rd party library?
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 19:27:51 GMT
On 1/7/2011 12:51 PM, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 07:17:33PM -0500, NN Ott wrote:
>> That's exactly right.
>>
>> Should I post this to the dev list?
>
> No. Your question is clearly a usage question so it is not appropriate
> for the dev list.
>
> Have a look at piston: http://piston.rubyforge.org/
> Maybe that comes somewhat close to what you want.

I'm not sure that trying to coordinate 2 different version managers with
something that has to represent changes as a sequentially numbered set
of atomic operations even makes sense because all of the tracking
references to revision numbers and time ranges will be wrong when
looking at the copy.  Being able to clone and update from a read-only
upstream copy while maintaining your own local branch work is probably
one of the main reasons for the popularity of distributed vc's like git.
  git-svn might do it, but your local work would have to be in the git
repo it creates.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com