subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best way to maintain patches to a 3rd party library?
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2011 23:57:57 GMT
On 1/6/2011 5:41 PM, Stefan Sperling wrote:

>> Can I make a local (patched) branch of an svn:external?  That way I could
>> pull updates as needed, but still retain access to the full commit history.
>
> You'd need to manually (or some automated fashion) apply each commit
> made to their repository to your own repository.
> This is very tedious if they make a lot of commits.
> And revision numbers between repositories wouldn't match up.
>
> I don't understand what the real problem you want to solve is.
> Maybe you want to browse their history without internet access?
> If you want to browse their history without internet access, I would
> recommend keeping an svnsync copy of their repository on your hard drive.

I think the idea is that he'd like to see the development history of
both the vendor and local changes as a continuous set of changes as you
would if they were in the same repository with log and diff working
across any points in time or branch versions.  It seems like a
reasonable thing to want, but I don't think it is possible with subversion.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com