subversion-users mailing list archives

From Bob Archer <Bob.Arc...@amsi.com>
Subject RE: Why doesn't 'svnadmin create' creates tags, branches, trunk?
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 16:14:09 GMT
> > From: Tech Geek [mailto:techgeek12345@gmail.com]
> >
> > So why don't we have (read as a feature) something like this:
> >
> > # svnadmin create --tbt new_repo
> >
> > and a repositroy with following strcuture is created
> (automatically)
> >
> > # ls /var/lib/svn/new_repo
> > branches
> > tags
> > trunk
>
> I have several repositories of my own, and I support several more,
> for
> various companies that I work for.  None of them have the branches
> & tags at
> the top level of the repo, because the repo actually contains many
> separate
> independent projects.  You should stick your branches & tags dir at
> whatever
> levels of the tree you'd be interested in branching & tagging.
>
> If you did the -tbt switch, it's just a lazy way to eliminate a
> single "svn
> mkdir" after the "svnadmin create."  Not really worth while, imho.
> If you
> can remember the "-tbt" then you can remember the "svn mkdir."

Create a template repository with the folders you want in it. Then dump it. Save that file
somewhere.

After you create a repo you can do an svnadmin load --ignore-uuid < templatedumpfile

(so you retain the unique uuid in the newly created repo).

You can even create a batch/command for this to do it with one command.

BOb