subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementing lightweight client over http. Where to start?
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:51:23 GMT
On 18 October 2010 12:56, Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2010d@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2010, at 06:42, Andrew Roughan wrote:
>
>> Porting the full svn client to my environment is not something I am willing to undertake
myself.
>> So as an alternative I wanted to implement some Quick & Dirty interface over
HTTP hopefully with a cleartext password.
>> Is there a document that describes the http interfaces to svn server for each function?
>
> Subversion uses many other libraries to get its job done, including apr and apr-util,
expat, neon or serf, sqlite and others, and Subversion is itself divided into several libraries
that carry out the various tasks. I think if the Subversion developers could have might Subversion
lighter, they would have, and I don't think you will be able to make any such "quick and dirty"
client without having to reimplement most of Subversion, which, as you may know, represents
ten years worth of work.

> What is this mysterious environment you have where Subversion does not already run?
>
> To answer your question, the Subversion HTTP interface is WebDAV, so you can read up
on that.

That depends on what you want that client to do.... if all you are
after is to fetch the head revision and you are not interested in
modifying the repo, then you could have a fairly light client using
just a http client lib

if you want to check stuff back in then you might be able to get
somewhere with DAV support which could be handled though http requests
quite simply, but you'd be loosing out on lots of good
functionality...

It would be possible to get a smaller client, if you only need to
support a smaller set of use-cases...

-Stephen