subversion-users mailing list archives

From Kylo Ginsberg <k...@kylo.net>
Subject Backgrounded script in post-commit blocks client commit completion
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2010 21:04:51 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm running 1.6.9 on Fedora 12.  With this post-commit script:

#!/bin/sh
REPOS="$1"
REV="$2"
$REPOS/hooks/delay.sh &

and delay.sh is just:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 5

This causes commits to delay 5 seconds before completing at the
client.  Running post-commit directly from the command-line it returns
immediately, so it is apparently something about how svn/apr invokes
the hook.

The above is a simplification; what I am really trying to do is put
sync's to a proxy server in the background so that large commits
aren't blocked while we sync to proxy servers across a WAN.

I assume this is not expected behavior.  In fact the svnbook carefully
describes putting proxy syncs in the background, so I believe I'm
following best practices.

Any comments appreciated!

Kylo