subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Feldhacker, Chris" <Feldhacker.Ch...@principal.com>
Subject Global ignores
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 20:29:49 GMT
Where can I find more complete information on global-ignores and the expected format/syntax
of the patterns?

The svnbook just indicates:
The global-ignores option is a list of whitespace-delimited globs which describe the names
of files and directories that Subversion should not display unless they are versioned.
The default value is *.o *.lo *.la #*# .*.rej *.rej .*~ *~ .#* .DS_Store

At first I assumed this just performed wild-card matching, but looking at the default list
within the config file that was created on my machine (Windows) I see this:

global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a *.pyc *.pyo
   *.rej *~ #*# .#* .*.swp .DS_Store

Based on the presence of the "[0-9]" set, I assume something a bit more than just wild-card
matching must be performed but apparently something less than full regular expressions...

The wikipedia entry for "glob" indicates this is just a generic term that refers to a limited
pattern-matching facility, which seems to vary by programming language or shell, and "there
is no definite syntax for globs..."

So, where can I find more complete information on the "glob" syntax that Subversion uses for
the global-ignores option, and is it consistent across OSes?
Thanks!

-----Message Disclaimer-----

This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or
reply email to Connect@principal.com and delete or destroy all copies of
the original message and attachments thereto. Email sent to or from the
Principal Financial Group or any of its member companies may be retained
as required by law or regulation.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an Electronic signature
for purposes of the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA) or the
Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act ("E-Sign")
unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

While this communication may be used to promote or market a transaction
or an idea that is discussed in the publication, it is intended to provide
general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with
the understanding that The Principal is not rendering legal, accounting,
or tax advice. It is not a marketed opinion and may not be used to avoid
penalties under the Internal Revenue Code. You should consult with
appropriate counsel or other advisors on all matters pertaining to legal,
tax, or accounting obligations and requirements.