subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: 350GB SVN repo creates around 1MB revision for simplest task
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 01:35:36 GMT

On Oct 12, 2010, at 17:45, FAISAL YAQOOB, BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEXIN wrote:

> This all started when I noticed that my repository size is increasing at a daily rate
of 1GB. I did a simple test. Created a branch/tag of an existing folder that had a size of
35KB. I took note of revision number and went to $REPO/db/revs/<K-rev>/rev-number/ and
checked the size of the revision. It was 1 mega byte. That sounds fishy. Any ideas on what
might be wrong here. My repo is about 350GB in size with about 600,000 revisions.

> P.S. I have already started a rebuild of the whole repository to see if that makes any
difference but it will probably take days to complete.

> Question: Is there anything in svn that when it reaches a certain size every commit will
be that large?

Are there a lot of files in a single directory? The file/directory structure is stored in
each revision. (Not sure if that's the file/directory structure of everything or just of the
directories to which the commit applies.)