subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion equivalent to VSS diff for binary files
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:39:45 GMT
On 10/18/2010 9:25 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> (didn't read it all very very carefully; was too long for that)
>
> David Weintraub wrote on Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 09:47:32 -0400:
>> Text files are stored as diffs and removing a particular
>> revision of a text file won't save a lot of room in the repository.
>> However, binary files are a bit different. Changing one line in a file
>> and then compiling it may cause a cascade of changes, so the resulting
>> difference between the previous revision of the binary and current
>> version of the binary are quite huge.
>>

> Seems to me the solution is "Don't store your binaries in Subversion".

Or at least binaries that can be rebuilt exactly from the
version-controlled source.

> What does storing the binaries in Subversion gain? (as opposed to
> storing all historical binaries in FTP somewhere)

If you put them somewhere else you have to re-invent conventions to
describe (in both directions) where to find the source/binaries that go
together - and perhaps write your own authentication/permissioning
mechanism to enforce them.  The main disadvantage of putting them back
in subversion is that they will most likely be obsolete after a few new
builds and there's no handy way to remove them or reclaim the space they
consume.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com