subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Loritsch, Berin" <blorit...@dtri.net>
Subject RE: Need advice on when to commit and how many commits to issue when multiple files changed
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:00:08 GMT

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to subversion. I used CVSNT before.
>
> Because a single svn commit will result in a whole new
> revision tree, so currently I commit all changes once per day
> after work (to avoid too many revisions because of my old CVS habit).

There's no particular reason to do that.  Essentially subversion does all the record keeping
for you so you can get back to any one revision.  It does so better than CVS did.

> But I'm afraid it's not a proper way, so:
> - Should file A and B be commited separately?
> - Should file A be commited more than once per day?
> - How to issue these commits when there's 1 single subversion user?
> - How to issue these commits in team working project?
>
> Any advice will be appreciated.

Best advice is to have everyone commit when they are ready to commit.  Waiting too long increases
the chance of a conflict.  SVN is designed to have multiple (even hundreds) clients all working
with a central repository.  It takes a lot of the hard work about merging the changes from
different users.  If everyone commits regularly, then you might get the occaisional message
to update your local working copy before you commit--but that's about it.

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message, and any attachments, may
contain proprietary and/or privileged material. It is intended solely for the person or entity
to which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.