subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Bert Huijben" <b...@qqmail.nl>
Subject RE: Repository shrinkage on conversion 1.5 -> 1.6?
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 07:13:47 GMT

Sharding reduces the number of files and thereby reduces the blocksize overhead. I think his
huge storage requirement difference is due to the 'representation sharing', where identical
files are only stored once.
See http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.6.html#rep-sharing

You can't get this size difference by just resharding. (But resharding and packing can certainly
give some performance boost, depending on your server configuration)

	Bert