subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Getting started with Subversion.
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:41:36 GMT

On Apr 8, 2010, at 20:01, Thomas Garrod wrote:

> OK, I'm a complete rube. I don't know the second thing about Subversion (I know it is
version control). I need Subversion, and I don't know where to start. Here are a few facts:

> 1. I have a foundation.
> 2. I need collaborators to be able to work together virtually sharing development files.
> 3. We are working with graphics, .swf, .as, .fla, XML, XSLT, audio and video files.
> 4.  Google Project uses Subversion.
> 5. I have a Mac with 10.5.8 OS
> 6. I don't know where to start with Subversion.
>
> I don't know what a binary package is, but I do know I need to have a version of Subversion
on my Mac. Others will need to have a version for Windows. Let's start with me, what do I
need to download? Looking at the options for Mac OS X, I have no idea which to chose.

> Can someone give me a start?

Welcome. Please do read the book, as someone else already mentioned. It's free, extensive,
informative, and well-written.

A binary package is a pre-compiled package of software you can simply install and run, without
needing to compile. There are several binary packages of Subversion available for Mac OS X
from different people. There is also MacPorts and Fink, with which you can automatically compile
Subversion for Mac OS X. Note however that Apple has already included a copy of Subversion
for you with every copy of Mac OS X 10.5 and greater; this may already be sufficient for you,
if you don't require the very latest version of Subversion.