subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Automatic upgrade of wc format annoying on shared drives
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:49:58 GMT
Jeremy Mordkoff wrote:

>>> I second that. I support fedora 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (and soon 12),
> various
>>> ubuntu releases, plus windows XP, Vista, and Win7, and Mac OS 10.4,
>>> 10.5. When one of them upgrades, it causes me to scramble to build
> and
>>> deploy upgrades to the others.
>>>
>> But working copies should really be disposable.  As long as you keep
> your
>> changes commited, if the format is a problem for a different client,
> just delete
>> it and let that client build what it wants.
>>

> Our product also supports that variety of platforms. I request that
> changes be tested on all platforms before the changes are committed.
> That requires the engineer to either use a project branch or access a
> view from multiple machines. Since some machines are shared, sometimes
> views get inadvertently upgraded.

And you are not concerned that some uncommitted change in this working copy
might be the thing that makes all your tests pass?  I like to make 'svn
checkout' or 'update' the only means to get the source to the testing platforms
to ensure that the test is of a reproducible state.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com