subversion-users mailing list archives

From Paul Decker <kg...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: svn usage tips
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 19:31:00 GMT
I am talking about checking out a single project, however the "projects" all use the same folders,
like shared folders.  So when you do a get on the top level, you get all the files for every
project rather than just the files for the project of interest

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Weintraub" <qazwart@gmail.com>
To: "Paul Decker" <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Cc: users@subversion.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:08:55 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: svn usage tips

Let me get this straight, you're not talking about checking out a single project vs. the whole
tree. You're talking about checking out a project, but not the externals directories? You
can take a look at several things: * There's an --ignore-externals flag when you do a checkout.
This prevents any externals directory from being checked out. * Take a look at the --depth
switch. You can checkout a directory, without checking out the sub-directories, then just
update the subdirectories you want. (Note: There's a --set-depth flag on the update command
to override the setting on the checkout command. (See http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.5.html#sparse-checkouts
for more information on the depth switch.) On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Paul Decker wrote:
> Hi list, > > > > I recently changed jobs and went from a cvs house to a svn
house.   They > have many projects and have an extensive shared source base.   I would
like > to know if there is a way to setup to check out a list of folders or > files.
In other words, for each project, I want to check out only files > that are directly related
to that project rather than evey file which is in > the shared directory. > > >
> ie. > > > > projects\ > > \display > > \display2 > > \display3
> > \comm > > \usb > > \tcp > > \keyboard > > \spi > >
\i2c > > \flash > > \eeprom > > > > Some projects use {display, comm,
keyboard, spi } while other projects use > {display, usb, spi, flash }   currently, the
only way of working is to check > out all folders. > > > > Is there a better
way to work? > > > > thanks, > > Paul > > -- David Weintraub qazwart@gmail.com